With the UCB publishing their Cardinal teams of the decade (for the record mine would have looked like Erik’s) I felt the need to get a little nostalgic myself. What better way to do that than graphically re-live the MV3. First the standard career chart sorted best to worst seasons.
- So that Pujols guy is pretty good eh?
- Edmonds (Erik Covered him here and here) and Rolen (I gave a comp here) both hover in the HOF zone and will probably be borderline candidates in the eyes of most
Now the same chart, but whittled down to only the years they spent in St. Louis (with the exception of Rolen’s first year which combines pre and post trade numbers)
- Rolen’s time with the Cardinals is underwhelming compared to the other two, which speaks to the excellence of the other two. 4-5 WAR seasons are nothing to sneeze at (i.e. Rolen’s 3rd and 4th best)
And finally a chronological view
- No wonder they got the MV3 nickname, 3 guys with >8 WAR
- Also no wonder why that team was so good
- This chart also provides insight into the plight in 2007
WAR data from Rally’s WAR database